Handgun Defense

Monday, March 20, 2006

Letters, 3/16: Torn on concealed carry

Interesting opinion letter in Nebraskas 'JournalStar last week.

I generally lean toward liberal positions, especially as regards social issues. But in the ongoing debate over Nebraska’s proposed concealed carry law, I find myself torn, perhaps because I’m dealing with it from a painful perspective that forces me to reconsider my own liberal outlook.

My 24-year-old daughter, Rachel, was murdered on May 28 of last year. The man who climbed in through a bedroom window and killed her and two other young people (and seriously wounded a fourth) had a criminal record; he should not have had — and indeed was technically not allowed to have — a weapon. But he did have one, and he used it to take from me the thing I loved most in the world.

If any of the victims had been carrying a weapon, the outcome of that tragic confrontation would almost certainly have been better; it could hardly have been any worse. Perhaps my daughter would still be alive. At least she would have had a chance. But she had no chance; no one there was armed except for the killer, who shot each victim (one of them three times) and then simply walked away.

Frankly, I do not really wish to carry (or even own) a weapon, and I would have no problem living in a society in which I was not allowed to own one. Just as long as the government could guarantee that no one else will own one, either.

Rod Scher, Lincoln


My heartfelt condolences to Mr. Scher for his loss. Sadly, it almost always takes events like these to show someone who is against guns and gun ownership that guns are a necessity in this world. His last sentence should be bolded, italicized, underlined, and put on every street corner. The government will never be able to guarantee that no one else would ever be able to own a gun. Not only would it be a grievious violation of the second amendment of the US Constitution, but it's not even remotely feasible if we still consider america to be free. The government is not responsible for your safety from the criminal element, only you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home